Musicians have been waiting for a .music Top Level Domain (TDL) extension for years.What I find most interesting is the introduction of an application process to secure domain extension. Although that may sound burdensome, the reward is worth the effort. Here are a few examples:
- The TDL will have https baked-in. This alone can save a musician thousands of dollars trying to hire a web developer to install an SSL cert on Amazon Web Services, etc.
- Search engines will treat it as a first class citizen. This could now be the counterpoint to Paul Graham’s famous essay on only focusing on .com. http://www.paulgraham.com/name.html
- Current artists can finally reclaim more ownership of their brand and not have to fall victim of copyright law. For example, queen.com and justinbieber.com are owned by domain squatters who earn free micro income by users accidentally typing in a name and doing something most would consider obvious
- ^^ This also introduces a different problem/opportunity too. Thinking through the implications, If there can only be one theband.music, I can foresee a near future where artists and labels alike scramble to establish a brand, secure the domain, then squat on them. Never forget, second to business income, BRAND is the most powerful thing you can own and manage.
- There will be a directory listing. This is good for us. we always want to know what new brands are born.
- I think I’m going to try and create a blog entry about why this is exiting. We should put our name out there during moments of excitement like this.
Breaking News Article